Tuesday 12 March 2019

Has the new India arrived?

'Yeh naya India hain Ghar mein ghuse ga bhi aur marega bhi' - Uri (2019)

This blog is not about political view or nationalism; but about the change in our consumption of entertainment. I am not an expert or a critic, but a fan of movies.

Over the years I felt I was taken for granted by filmmakers and actors with very lame scripts and repeated content being churned out in the name of entertainment.

I had lost my interest in Bollywood and only selected movies really appealed me. I felt like I would never see a decent Bollywood film as the ones I didn't like were surprisingly the ones minting money at the Box Office. I felt disappointed and powerless as a consumer. I gave up on Bollywood and started watching Hollywood and shifted to web series (had quit hindi daily soaps ages ago as they are dumber than our Bollywood movies). Taste was gradually changing and the pace at which it was changing, I could hardly watch Bollywood trailers.

How could people tolerate such movies? I love to hear when the public questions, they were smart people - the bunch of writers, directors, actors etc. So why give such miserable output? Oh! Because the masses want to watch unreal cinema where they can worship their hero and whistle on his antics. Also budgets/finances don't work for realistic films as the risk is too high. Its a battle single person cannot win and I had lost all hopes. (I mean you cant say that Salman Khan movie was not at all good, bunch of people will pounce on you with all they have as you have deeply offended them.)

But thank God for 2018 when Aamir, Salman and Shah Rukh movies, which in any previous years would have easily crossed higher 100 crores club, were rejected by the masses. Wohh wohh wohh itna kya kharab hai? (Is it that bad?) Aayushman, Rajkumar and Uri wala are the new talk of the town. Content is the new hero and people are looking out for stories. Finally masses are discussing these movies, the actors, the plot and their sequels are being considered. Anything substandard even with big names is being rejected. It is a new beginning.

Hope my joy is not like baadal aa gaye in the movie Lagaan where they start to dance and sing  in joy only to realize the clouds have moved on ... Wish to have masses of the classes to keep this new cinema alive and rocking.

Love,
Ticket Buyer

P.S. SRK is my favorite actor.

1 comment: